MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree from Murang’a University of Technology of at least Upper Second-Class Honours in Biological Sciences, Entomology, Agriculture, or Environmental sciences with at least one unit passed in Entomology or an equivalent qualification from a university recognized by Murang’a University of Technology Senate and the Commission of University Education (CUE).
- Under exceptional circumstances a holder Holders of Lower Second-Class Honours Bachelors degree in Biological Sciences, Agriculture or Environmental sciences with at least one unit passed in Entomology or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognized by the Murang’a University of Technology Senate. In addition, the candidate must have at least two years of documented relevant work and/or research experience
A candidate, who qualifies to enter the programme as specified in the entry requirements above, can register with the University to undertake the Master of Science in Applied Entomology. Registration shall be done by payment of fees and completing the necessary University forms as detailed in the University fees structure and registration regulations provided in the Students Information Handbook
DURATION OF STUDY
Two (2) Academic Years
GOAL OF THE PROGRAMME
The goal of the programme is to offer a flexible training program at the master’s level that provides interdisciplinary skills in decision-making in the areas of applied entomology, and to perform research that provides hands-on applied field experience for students.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Explain the pest complexes of the Agro-ecosystems and identify key pest insects of plant, animal and Humans
- Demonstrate broad knowledge of applied entomology in correctly interpreting interactions amongst host plants, pests, animals and their natural enemies
- Link sustainable agriculture with pest control
- Explain the fit of Integrated Pest Management in pest control
- Communicate efficiently to an audience of multidisciplinary nature and to prepare technical documents and to present effectively
- To equip students with a range of skills, including problem solving, research work and presentation, to enable them to take prominent roles in a wide spectrum of employment and research
PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAMME
To enhance innovation, creativity and professionalism in Applied Entomology to mitigate global challenges in food security and disease transmission. By using insects as model organisms across science, the programme will assist students in making discoveries that impact society for the better.
MODE OF DELIVERY
The programme shall be offered through face to face, blended and E-learning (online) modes.