MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1. Direct entry from secondary schools
- Candidates must meet the minimum University general admission criteria.
- Candidates must have passed Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination (K.C.S.E) with a mean grade of C+, a C+ in Biology and a C in any other of the following two subjects: Mathematics/Physics, Chemistry and Agriculture/Geography.
2. Diploma Holders
- Diploma holders from accredited institutions in any field of Biological Sciences or related field with credit or distinction will be admitted to 1st year of study.
DURATION OF STUDY
Four (4) Academic Years
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the end of the programme, the learner should be able to:
- Interpret the basic biological literature in his/her area of interest (PLO 1)
- Conduct original biological research and data (PLO 2)
- Communicate (in writing and orally) findings of biological research – (PLO 3).
- Apply basic ethical principles to basic and applied biological/biomedical practice (PLO 4).
- Explain the role of biological/biomedical science, scientists, and practitioners in society (PLO 5).
PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAMME
The B.Sc. in Biosciences is oriented towards taking students through the advances in life science and providing them with a solid base in biological related courses for career development.
Students Class Attendance
- Students must attend at least eighty (80) percent of the classes for all the courses registered.
- Where a student registers for extra elective courses, he/she must attend at least 80% of the classes and the course cannot be dropped after 3 (three) weeks of registration unless with permission from Chairman of Department.
- Students must independently write a supervised project and implement in accordance with the university guidelines on undergraduate projects.
- At the end of 3rd year, the learner is expected to proceed for attachment for not less than 3 months before proceeding to 4th Industrial Attachment shall form part of the final grade and certification.
- The University in collaboration with the organizations where the learner is attached shall supervise the learner during the industrial Attachment. The Department shall provide the modalities of Industrial Attachment assessment.